Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:56:56 -0600
From:      Philip R.Moyer <prm@hyperon.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   (wireless query) wi0 interface associated, but no DHCP response?

I have 4.5-RELEASE (from ISO images) running on a Sony PCG-F350
laptop.  In it, I have a Linksys WPC11 PCMCIA wireless card.

My WAP is also a Linksys.  The SSID is the default ("linksys"), channel 6,
etc - a basic vanilla setup.  I run /etc/start_if.wi0 by hand, then, by hand,
run "dhclient wi0".

The sytem recognizes the card and loads the drivers perfectly (cool! :-) but
I can't get it to participate in my local network.  The card is associated,
but I can't get DHCP response from my WAP.

Here's what "ifconfig wi0" has to say:

wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
  inet6 fe80::204:5aff: fecd:bd86%wi0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7
  inet 0.0.0.0 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 255.255.255.255
  ether 00:04:5a:cd:bd:86
  media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
  status: associated
  ssid linksys
  stationname "FeeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
  channel 6 authmode NONE powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
  wepmode OFF weptxkey 1

The WAP is configured to serve DHCP.

Here's the output from "wicontrol -i wi0":

NIC serial number:		[ 99A010000000 ]
Station name:			[ FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node ]
SSID for IBSS creation:		[ linksys ]
Current netname (SSID):		[ linksys ]
Desired netname (SSID):		[ linksys ]
Current BSSID:			[ 00:04:5a:d0:b0:2b ]
Channel list:			[ 2047 ]
IBSS channel:			[ 6 ]
Current channel:			[ 6 ]
Comms quality/signal/noise:	[ 3 50 0 ]
Promiscuous mode:		[ Off ]
Port type (1=BSS, 3=ad-hoc):	[ 1 ]
MAC address:			[ 00:04:5a:cd:bd:86 ]
TX rate (selection):		[ 3 ]
TX rate (actual speed):		[ 11 ]
RTS/CTS handshake threshold:	[ 2347 ]
Create IBSS:			[ Off ]
Access point density:		[ 1 ]
Power Mgmt (1=on, 0=off):	[ 0 ]
Max sleep time:			[ 100 ]
WEP encryption:			[ Off ]
TX encryption key:		[ 1 ]
Encryption keys:			[   ][    ][   ]

Here's my /etc/start_if.wi0:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -p 1
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -t 3
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -f 6
/usr/sbin/wicontrol -i wi0 -n linksys

Now, the MAC address doesn't show up in the WAP's dhcp client list,
as I would expect.  This leads me to believe the request isn't even
getting to the WAP.  BTW, the card worked flawlessly under RedHat 7.2.

I would certainly appreciate any advice anyone might provide me to fix
this problem!

Cheers,
Phil

P.S.  Please include prm@hyperon.com in the reply or cc; Comcast just