Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Anders Chr. Skoe" <skoe@owlnet.rice.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone resolved "Missing operating system" issue?

On 14-Jul-00 Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 July 2000 at 17:25:53 -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

>>> This sounds like a geometry issue.  Have you selected LBA in the BIOS
>>> setup?  If so, have you tried both "dangerously dedicated" and
>>> Microsoft compatible partitions?
>>
>> Eek!  Don't use dangerously dedicated on SCSI.  It causes SCSI disks
>> to break horribly.
>
> I've never seen any problems using "dangerously dedicated" on SCSI.
> I've been doing it all the time for over 8 years.  Care to explain
> your claim?

I know that Doug White for one had serious issues with dangerously
dedicated mode on SCSI.  The problem has more to do with newer SCSI
controllers that attempt to match the geometry speecified in the MBR
of the disk.  Since dangerously dedicated mode uses a completely fake
and made up geometry, this can greatly confuse the SCSI controller.