Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 2010 01:37:22 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        pav@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        glarkin@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org, "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dislike the way port conflicts are handled now

--Sig_/RlO=6AwUMR2Vt5bhdtazGSj

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 21:26:28 +0100
Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Greg Larkin p=C3=AD=C5=A1e v so 16. 01. 2010 v 13:58 -0500:
>=20
> > That's exactly what I proposed.  The bsd.port.mk could be patched to
> > support a new variable ("EARLY_CONFLICT_CHECK=3Dyes" or somesuch) that
> > shifts the check-conflict target from its old position (part of the
> > install sequence) to its new position (fetch?).
> >=20
> > The default behavior (no mods to /etc/make.conf) would revert to
> > the old conflict checking method.  This may be something for
> > portmgr@ to chime in on, and I'm cc'ing them now.  There could be
> > other reasons for this change that I'm unaware of.
>=20
> What is the particular scenario that the new conflicts handling broke
> for you? Often you really want to ignore locally installed packages
> and then it's better to override LOCALBASE to /nonex or something
> similar, instead of disabling conflict handling...

I'd be very happy if I could:
- fetch the distfiles, even if I have a conflicting port installed
- be able to use portmaster -o to switch from one port to an other one
  that conflicts with it.
- be able to at least compile a port (eg. for testing) without having
  to de-install the current one.

I'm all in favor of restoring the old behavior with a switch available
to turn on the new one.

--=20
FreeBSD committer -> itetcu@FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B