Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:20:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        conrads@home.com
Cc:        scotte@speakeasy.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with partitioning schemes

Of course, there is never *one* correct answer.

> On 30-Mar-00 Scott wrote:
> The last time I tried to install FreeBSD the installer offered its
> own default partition mapping.  Not knowing the proper sizes, I
> chose the defaults.  What recomended partition mappings do people
> recommend for a system which will be FreeBSD-only (6 Gig drive)
> and why do you choose your scheme?

I have a 64M root partition that was at one time about 70% full, but
then I removed a number of old kernels that I hadn't used in some
time.  (Once the system is "good", you don't usually need ten extra
"just in case" kernels).  Now it's about 56% full.

/var is 402M, but there's a specific reason for that.  Running a
custom install of the postgreSQL database server, it's data files are
stored in /var.  I also have my Apache set to use /var/html as it's
document root.  The idea was to *try* to get /usr mountable read-only
and still be able to modify the dynamic content of the system.

If you're going to use a large database that uses /var, make /var at
least as large as the data sets you intend to use.  I happened to have
a 402M hard drive handy and just committed the whole thing for it.
It's currently about 43% full, but growing slowly.

With 64M RAM, I have 128M swap, using the old twice-your-memory rule.
I don't think I'd go larger than that because a) The things I do don't
use up that much memory, and b) If I was using all 64M RAM *and* 128M
swap, more swap wouldn't help because the system would be on its knees
swapping like mad anyway.

/home, if you make it separate (makes re-installs easier), really
depends on what your users use.  I have 402M for home, only because I
had two of those hard drives I mentioned earlier.

Of course, /usr is usually "everything else", and the only time it
wouldn't be is if you had a highly specific plan for your system with
storage requirements pretty well spelled out.  Some people advocate
for /usr being a read-only system, in which case it would only have to
be a little larger than what is required for a basic install,
/usr/local being used for add-ons.

Them's my thoughts.  Sorry for rambling.

--
Derrick Baumer - Black Duck Software
        <bduk@earthlink.net>