Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 10:11:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.org, doconnor@Ist.flinders.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 12:20:58AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>>> Sure.  I just don't know what packets are triggering it.  There's
>>> almost nothing running at all (literally; no routed, named,
>>> whatever).
>>
>> Who says it has to be at your end?
>
> It may not be.  I have to run in debug mode first.  Maybe later tonight
> or tommorrow.  Kinda stupid for an ISP to do that, though, and I
> doubt PrimeNet is that stupid.

I've seen plenty of stupid ISPs, though I don't know PrimeNet.  But
you don't need to run ppp in debug mode; you can run tcpdump on a tun
interface.

>>> And there's the annoying localhost DNS lookup, even though host.conf
>>> has "hosts" first, and the name of the machine I'm rlogin'ing into
>>> is in /etc/hosts (it's myself).  It triggers the PPP dial anyway,
>>> and I think that should only happen for non-local hosts.
>>
>> Well, why aren't you running named?  It's faster than looking up
>> /etc/hosts.  And if you don't tell the world it's there, it's not
>> going to get any external traffic.
>
> I will run named, once I get my HP345 stable enough that I want it
> up most of the time.  Until then, just having a hosts file that
> I FTP around is enough.

It's really a lot easier with a name daemon.  Set cahcing only, and
you'll have the added benefit of much reduced lookup time to the
outside world.

>>> Change the ground rules on the shutdown, for one... different issues
>>> for SLIP/ISDN, for another.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because of the shorter connect time, you can have a shorter idle time
> for ISDN, for one.

OK, that's reasonable.  Anyway, you can specify the idle time per
destination, which implies an interface as well.

> A number of ISP's in the Seattle area will actually call *you* when
> there are packets for you,

Good for them!  Publish their names, praise them openly.

> so you are truly capable of running a server (mail, www, etc.).

Right.

> For SLIP, it depends.  Some people actually still have NetBlazer's.

I thought SLIP had emigrated to Russia.

Greg