Date:      Thu, 8 May 2003 05:46:22 -0600
From:      collins <erichey2@attbi.com>
To:        bsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   /usr/local/bin and so forth

Coming from a linux background (gentoo distro), I find it strange to
find all sorts of crap in /usr/local/bin.  I'm used to find all standard
software in /usr/bin (or certain binary packages in /opt) and to find
/usr/local/bin reserved for stuff added by the local administrator.

1. What's the rationale behind this for freebsd?
2. Where does one (as a standard) put truly local scripts, etc. so it
won't get confused with all the stuff in /usr/local/bin?

Thanks,
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
FreeBSD 5.0