Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 13:42:35 +1000 (EST)
From:      Sue Blake <sue@zip.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Subject:   GUS errors

When I use my Gravis Ultrasound 3.7x I get the following error message:
isa_dmastart: channel 7 busy
repeated over and over.

Same thing before and after upgrading 2.2.1 to 2.2.2, and with trying
several different drq and irq settings in the kernel.
Looked under BOOT: -c thingy, didn't see conflict. (Are there better
methods?) Currently the kernel has
device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 12 drq 7 vector gusintr

Apart from that it seems to work, playing every kind of sound file
(except midi) but sometimes rather jerkily. The card works perfectly
under DOS/Win3.1/Warp4. It is possible that my motherboard uses
drq 1 (Soundblaster default for GUS) but I have no idea how to check these
things.

So what is it that message trying to tell me?

Bonus question on MIDI setup:

How can I get midis to play audibly? I think the card and I need to come
to some agreement regarding patches, eg, playmidi itself works
beautifully, sits there and "plays" the tune but the card ignores it in a
polite and friendly manner. Where/how does the gus look for its patches in
FreeBSD?

Sorry if it's an irrelevant question, but nobody elsewhere can answer.
Anyone here remember these beasties? MIDI? Anyone?? Hello?

Regards,
        -*Sue*-