Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:49:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/loader compiled with NOFORTH

On 25-Apr-2003 Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 04:17:05PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

>> > You still does not answer my question: is the memory
>> > allocation in loader(8) limited to real mode 640KB?
>>
>> Yes.  Basically, the loader is loaded at address 0xa000 and
>> it's stack grows down from 0x9ffff (0xa0000 is where video
>> memory is mapped), so that gives you
>> 0xa0000 - 0xa000 = 0x96000 = 614400 = 600k for all of the
>> loader text, data, bss, stack, and heap.
>>
>> I don't think the loader catches it if the stack and heap
>> grow into each other.  You just start corrupting things. :)
>>
> But if we manage to load kernel high, above 1M, there
> should be something that allows us to relocate heap
> there, no?  Also, can't we just trust what BIOS thinks
> about the amount of memory?

We load the kernel into lower memory first and then copy it
up above 1mb.  The memory above 1mb is not managed by the
heap and is only used as the destination of the kernel.

We could trust what the BIOS says, but putting the heap up
above 1mb has some sticky issues.  First off, where do we
put it?  We can't put it at 1m cause the kernel has to go
there.  If we stick it at 4m, then we've limited the kernel
to only being 3m in size, adn GENERIC is already larger than
that.  Any kernel modules get loaded up above 1m as well,
along with splash screens, etc.  Do you want to set a max
size for all that and stick the extra heap above there?
You would need at least an extra meg of space for it to buy
you anything, so let's say you limit the kernel + modules
 + module data size to 6mb, then you can start the extra
heap at 7mb and still work on an 8bm machine.  The loader
would no longer _function_ on a 4mb machine.  I really would
like to have the loader function on a fairly broad range of
machines.

I guess the real reason for your questions is that bzip2
requires some outrageous amount of memory for some internal
tables?  Does bzip2 really buy us that much more space than
gzip in this case?