Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2003 10:09:00 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Karl-Petter_=C5kesson?= <kalle@sics.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems to initialize flashcard during boot under FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE

Hello all,

I have tried to see if someone has stumbled into the same problem but
have not been sucessful. Seen some similar ones though they didnt not
help me. I recentley upgraded to FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE from 4.4-RELEASE
and after that I can not boot the machine any longer.

THe machine is a laptop(Thinkpad 560) with a 20Gb HD but since the
machine is old the BIOS does not support so large drives and it actually
refuses to boot if the HD is set to master. To come aroundd this problem
I have it boot from a PCMCIA flashcard instead. It has worked very well
with FreeBSD-4.4. The following is the error message I get during the
boot. Since I have not figured out how to get a dump of it I have
written it off the screen.

pccard: card inserted, slot 0
ad1:  19077Mb <TOSH...
ad2: timeout waiting for interrupt
ad2: enabling readahead cache failed
ad2: timeout waiting for interrupt
ad2: enabling write cache failed
... the screen scrolls so I cannot see if there is more printed out ...
ad2: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0
ata1: resetting device
ad2: removed from configuration
done

My interpretation of this as not being a kernel guru is that while
initilizing the flashcard(ad2) there is a timeout and thus the
initialization of the device fails. This would be perfectley fine if it
had not been the case that / is on that device and thus when the device
is removed the kernel crashes since it cannot mount /.

Anyone know how I could fix or get around this problem? I tried to
insert the flashcard into my other machine which was successfullt
upgraded to FreeBSD-4.7-RELEASE and I can mount the device and read
files without a problem.

/Kalle
Karl-Petter Åkesson
SICS - Swedish Institute of Computer Science AB
http://www.sics.se/~kalle/contact.html