Date:      Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:59:23 +0100
From:      Guy Dawson <guy@crossflight.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 X2

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 11:44:02AM +1000, ? ? wrote:
>
>>Page 2 of the second last link has this to say, regarding
>>compatibility of the X2 chips with existing motherboards:
>>http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397&p=2
>>"...
>>On the desktop, the Athlon 64 X2 series is fully compatible with all
>>Socket-939 motherboards.  All you need is a BIOS update and you're
>>good to go."
>>
>>I'd be truly amazed if this was the case for all motherboards,
>>although it might be in the spec...
>

> It really should be that simple.  All the external interfaces and pins
> are the same for Athlon64-939 and Athlon64 X2.  They have the same
> thermal specifications, etc...

It's the only way AMD could reasonably do it. To require a different
motherboard for X1 (?) and X2 chips would have the mobo makers rioting!

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson                    I.T. Manager              Crossflight Ltd
guy@crossflight.co.uk         07973  797819                01753 776104

This email contains the views and opinions of a Crossflight Limited
employee and at this stage are in no way a direct representation oF
Crossflight Limited.

Crossflight Limited is an international express courier, mailing and
logistics service provider, and is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority to conduct General Insurance Business.
This communication and any attachments are confidential and may
be protected from disclosure. We endorse no advice or opinion
contained in this communication that is not the subject of a contract
between the recipient and ourselves.

If you have received it in error please notify us immediately and note
that any storage, use or disclosure is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. Those communicating with us by electronic mail will be
deemed to have accepted the risks associated with interception,
amendment, loss and late or incomplete delivery.  They will also be
deemed to have consented to our intercepting and monitoring such
communications.

by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses. We strongly
recommend that you check this email with your own virus software
as Crossflight Limited will not be held responsible for any damage
caused by viruses as a result of opening this email.