Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:32:02 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        FreeBSD Documentation Project <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Tasks for junior documentation hackers!

Hi,

Tasks for junior documentation hackers! (sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Here's some stuff I'd like to tackle in the next few months, but
obviously I'd welcome other people to contribute, and I'd also like
others to suggest more.

The resulting list should be documented somewhere, fdp-primer(?),
or the Contributing section of the handbook.

Application-oriented:

DNS on FreeBSD (query tools, server tools, validation tools)
  (http://rucus.ru.ac.za/~nbm/doc/dns/article.sgml for a bad start)
Chat programs on FreeBSD (IRC, ICQ, AIM)
  (http://rucus.ru.ac.za/~nbm/doc/chat/article.sgml for a bad start)
Email on FreeBSD (qmail, exim, sendmail, mutt, elm, pine, &c. stuff like
  rbl)
Applications in Linux Mode

Development-oriented:

make world documentation (variables, targets, optimizations, &c.)
make release documentation (variables, targets, optimizations, &c.)
ports make documentation (variables, targets, optimizations, &c.)
(above three may be in the same book/article, actually)

porting applications (more indepth stuff based on the handbook section,
  and examples of when variables and stuff are needed)

Administration-oriented:

Administering a student server (book, experiences in student server
  administration)
Surviving an IRC server (some input from DES and company about useful
  configuration stuff)
High performance Web configuration
Exploring Graphical Configuration tools (SWAT at the moment, and
  NetMAX(?))
Surviving multiple administrators (things like RCS, may be a bit
  too short, may be included in administering a student server book.)

Other stuff:

An introduction page, which is also an index to the FDP documentation,
and lists web sites like freebsd.org, freebsdmall, daemonnews, and
so forth.  This would also have a link to the generated list of
documentation for installed packages (unless you're the web server
version of this document).

A User Group article, if there's enough interest, possibly with a
few in-depth looks at existing thriving User Groups, and how they
put it all together, and suggestions for starting your own, finding
users, and other things.

Making FreeBSD pretty - an eyecandy article with stuff like splash
screens and screen savers, and maybe pointers to FreeBSD-related
themes at (e.g.) themes.org.

On the more wacky side, maybe a Humour of FreeBSD article, with
things like "How many FreeBSD hackers does it take to change a
lightbulb", Berkeley California song, the Danish Axe, how long
sheldonh and I spoke on IRC until he realized I was sitting in the
next booth (sorry, just checking if anyone is paying attention),
and why "Tasks for junior documentation hackers" could be amusing.

Any more? (:

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner