Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 00:24:38 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>, papowell@astart.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> >The package in the ports is licensed under Artistic/GPL. The BSD + keep
> >copyright available on-demand is a much less restrictive license.
>
> So, the assumption is that FreeBSD will only be allowed to use the
> BSD license if it removes the current version of lpr and changes
> lprNG from a port to an integral part of the distributed system?

No, that's not the assumption. I'm just countering your argument that
the version imported would be _less_ "free" or "flexible" or something
than the version in the ports.

The fact is that LPRng will only be licensed under BSD with the
additional clauses that garantee one can clearly identify it as being
XYZZY LPRng, instead of the original LPRng, so that the author can
clearly identify whether he is dealing with an original or a modified
version, and to prevent LPRng's reputation from being tarnished by
faulty versions modified by third party being claimed to have security
holes or bugs or something.

I hope this clear your doubts. The proposed license is a perfectly
acceptable one which does not add any burdens to business using and
selling products with LPRng (or anyone else, for that matter). Let's all
steer clear of the topic-mentioned "license issues", since there are
none, and discuss the replacement on technical merits.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		<jkh> _DES: The Book of Bruce has only one sentence in it, and it says
"the actual directives of my cult are left as an exercise for the
reader. Good luck."
		<EE> jkh: does it really include the 'good luck' part?
		<jkh> EE: OK, I made that part up.
		<jkh> EE: I figured it should sound a bit more cheery than how Bruce
initially dictated it to me.