Date:      Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:23:35 +1000
From:      young@richardson.apana.org.au
To:        lowell@world.std.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-questions] whereis

Thanks for the comments ..... seems this bug affects a few people

I'm not 100% certain about the guy from Hawaii, but in my case there was most definitely NO upgrading involved ..... I've only got the one set of FreeBSD CD's and not a clue in the world about how to upgrade the thing even if I wanted to ..... when it comes time to "upgrade" that will mean a total re-installation .... it works & doesn't create weird problems. If the problem results from someone "forgetting" to do whatever, it sure wasn't me !!!!!!!

The right way to fix it is by removing (or, better, changing) the
reference to the directory from /etc/manpath.config.  This problem is
*probably* the result of forgetting to merge the changes to /etc when
upgrading the rest of the system (including perl).