Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:34:27 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: From Slashdot...

>On 01-Feb-99 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>>       Does anyone have an clue as to what the ratio is of
>> Linux->FreeBSD?  Reasonably intelligent estimates?
>
>http://www.slashdot.org/pollBooth.pl?qid=currentkernel&aid=-1
>
>Linux 2.2.*    4918 /25%
>Linux 2.2.0ac   702 / 3%
>Linux 2.1.*    1805 / 9%
>Linux 2.0.*    7864 / 41%
>Older Linux     178 / 0%
>*BSD           1043 / 5%
>Proprietary OS 1748 / 9%
>Other           874 / 4%
>
>19133 total votes

   Uh, I wouldn't consider slashdot to be anything close to accurate since it
has always been basically a Linux forum.
   The Linux:FreeBSD ratio has typically been estimated around 5:1 wordwide,
although there is some evidence that this may have narrowed a bit to 4:1 or
better. I don't draw this estimate from any single source; it comes from
CDROM sales numbers, newsgroup postings, FTP downloads, etc.

-DG

David Greenman