Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 17:49:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        DSA-JCR <jcrdsa@dsa.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie to FreeBSD questions about configuring networks and ISDN

On Wed, 23 May 2001, DSA-JCR wrote:

> I am new to FreeBSD, not to Unix (well in the SCO Xenix times, in a
> remote galaxy ....) and I am developper of Windows Solutions. Now on,
> I am configuring a CyberCafe and I choose FreeBSD to be the server OS
> and like a gateway to the Internet for the Windows ME network.
>
> I would like to have the following configuration and I would like to
> know if it is possible.
>
> The server is P III 1Ghz 256Mb 30Gb
> It will have 2 net cards, one for incoming data from the local net and
> another to go out to the NET through a ADSL.
>
> Technical Questions:
>
> - I think that FreeBSD can work with this conf., isn't it?

	Yes, it will work fine.

> - How can I tell the OS that I have 2 net cards?, When I install it
> only sees one, Why ? Maybe the card manufacturer ? Is a Ovislink (but
> the chip is a Realtex => driver rl0). if not How can I install a
> second nic ?

	If they are PCI cards, they should have been detected and
	installed automatically.  Look at `ifconfig -a` output to
	verify.  If you only see 1 card (and they are the same type), then
	chances are there is something wrong with the card or the
	system.  You can look at `dmesg` to see if it was detected at boot
	time.

> - Is better and safe to have 3Com nics?

	I've had pretty decent luck with 3com cards.   Opinions may vary.

> - And what about the 3Com 3C982-TXM OfficeeNet 10/100 with TWO RJ-45
> ?, Can it works fine in FReeBSD?

	Not sure on this one.  But I will guess the answer to be YES.

> - In the case that the ADSL fails, I have an external ISDN router, I
> need a Third nic for this ?

	Well, You don't have to, but it would probably make things easier
	if, at least, have the option available.

> - What about if I use an internal ISDN card ? better than ISDN router ?

	I would always recommend a ISDN router, but an ISDN card would
	work fine.

> - And if I want to do some "on-demand" conection, I mean if the ADSL
> doesn't work, automatically goes to IDSN and put it to work and
> connect by this card/router. When the ADSL is ok again leaves the
> ISDN. Can this be done ? How ?

	This becomes a tricky matter, depending highly on how your FreeBSD
	machine and network connections are setup.  But you can get this
	working.

> - If a card manufacturer has drivers for Linux, Can I install and use
> them under FreeBSD ?

	Not necessarily.  The driver code must be written specifically for
	the FreeBSD kernel.

> - If I want to install the last version of GNOME, for example, in the
> GNOME web there is no port to FreeBSD, what must I do ?

	Download it manually and compile it.

> Another type of questions :

> - Is there anyone out there, with a config like this for a cybercafe
> working ? What is your experience ?

	Sorry, can't help you there.  Maybe someone on the list can.

> - Are there games that can be served in a FreeBSD server and played in
> Windows ? (I don't know very much about games, I only program, and
> program, and program, .....) ;o]

	Yes, Half-Life (CS, DM, TFC mods), Unreal Tourn., Quake-3,...there
	are a number of games that can be served.  Note that these games
	are made for Linux and BSD runs them under Linux emulation.  So,
	in theory, any server that is programmed for Linux will also work
	running under FreeBSD.

> - I would like to give e-mails accounts to the users, Can I do with FreeBSD
> (I suppose yes), which program may I use ? (there are so many)

	-The basics, Use sendmail and some sort or IMAP,POP3 server from
	the ports.

> - For my local net, I must give IP numbers compliant to RFC 1918, isn't ?

	Yes, that is fine.  You will need to run NAT.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"