Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:22:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't boot from CD and floppy after make release

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > It'd definitely be useful for the PicoBSD people, and anyone else that
> > > didn't need the loader's functionality.  I'd also be interested in
> > > knowing if you have any compression/decompression tools suitable for
> > > use with BTX eg. to compress the application data/expand it when BTX
> > > relocates.
> >
> > I quite like Jordan's suggestion of kzip'ing the loader.  The
> > compression is not especially efficient:
> >
> >     -r-xr-xr-x  1 rnordier  wheel  122880 Jan  3 23:55 loader
> >     -rwxr-xr-x  1 rnordier  wheel   70760 Jan  8 23:05 loader.kz
> >
> > but boot1/boot2 don't have a problem with loader.kz.
>
> It's actually not that bad; there's 12k of overhead for the kzip parts,
> which is why I was wondering if you had something more compact...

> Kzip is certainly a feasible interim solution, but it relies on the
> a.out tool chain which makes it a weak link.

Not only that - when you kzip the bootloader, you end up having the same
gunzip routines twice: one in the kzip stubs, and the second in the
loader. The word "superfluous" comes to mind...

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"
 Network in Poland     | |TT~~~| |    http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/