Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:37:18 +0200
From:      "Timur I. Bakeyev" <timur@com.bat.ru>
To:        <dandee@volny.cz>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: samba-3.0.23,1

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:46:52 +0200
  Daniel Dvořák <dandee@hellteam.net> wrote:
> Hi Timur,
>
> thank you for your quick answer.
>
> Could you explain, what I lose if SMBSH wrapper is not compilled to
>samba ?
>
> I think this is important option, I tried to search what smbsh
>stands for,
> but I did not find any relevant information.

Smbsh is a shell wrapper (implemented via LD_PRELOAD) that makes
access to /smb magic - by changing into that directory and farther you
can get access to Samba shares on other machines and files on them.
That supposed to work implicitly to other programs, so you can for
example, edit file on a Windows share with vi.

It's sort of userland mount_smb, but unfortunately, there are some
problems with the implementation, so it doesn't work on FreeBSD.
Moreover, I was told that in next version of Samba3 it'll be removed.

For more documentation you can chech smbwrapper/ directory in the
net/samba3 source tree.

With regards,
Timur.