Date:      12 Nov 1999 16:44:40 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about php3 and mysql

ZhangJiYu <wwwind@mail.sy.ln.cn> writes:

> Hello:
>
> I installed apache-php3-1.3.4 , later installed
> mysql-3.22.16g , when I use function mysql_connect() , system say :

The answer is in your first line!  Installing PHP3 and _then_ installing
MySQL (and it's libraries) will not let your php installation locate the
necessary MySQL support libraries, effectively dropping support for that
database when it builds.

>     PHP3 Error:
>     Fatal error: Call to unsupported or undefined function
>     mysql_connect() in /usr/local/www/data/test/db.php3 on line 8
>
> Why ? I had added "extension=php3_mysql.so" in my php3.ini
> file . I use FreeBSD-3.1 Release .
>            Should I delete apache-php3-1.3.4 and reinstall it ? on the
> other words , must install mysql-3.22.16g before install
> apache-php3-1.3.4 .

Right on the spot.  Try installing MySQL first, then Apache+PHP.

Oh, and one last thing.  Apparently, you're using Netscape for sending
your mail.  Please change your email preferences to post _only_ in text,
without the extra html stuff.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]