Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:43:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        dcs@newsguy.com
Subject:   Re: Request for review: nsswitch

In article <39AE970A.30208A56@newsguy.com>, Daniel C. Sobral
<dcs@newsguy.com> wrote:

> 2. /boot/loader.rc is never overwritten, but a default is installed
> if not present. I did this not to rock the boat when loader.conf
> stuff was introduced, and because a previously working version of
> loader.rc would continue to work fine. That said, this one I have
> never been comfortable with.

This one actually bit me when I upgraded one of my machines to a
version that required "/boot/device.hints".  In the dim distant past
when it was still considered OK, I had modified my "/boot/loader.rc"
file to something that worked fine at the time.  But it didn't have
the ability to load the device.hints file and the install didn't fix
it.

Since it's no longer really an option to customize this file, I
would prefer that it be installed unconditionally.

John