Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:33:08 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        bartling@cyrix.com (Steve Bartling)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, dietz@cyrix.com (Carl Dietz), gregg@cyrix.com (Greg Grohoski)
Subject:   Re: Freebsd2.2.2, adaptec 1742A and Ultra SCSI drive

>I replaced a defective Micropolis 2217 1.7 Gig Fast SCSI-2
>drive with a new ultra scsi Micropolis 4743NS.

You may want to try playing around with mode page two on
the drive.  I remeber that the Atlas I wouldn't work on the 1742A
unless you slowed it down a little bit.  It seems that if you
cut your bus signal times close to the minimum the spec allows,
the 1742 becomes confused.  There is probably a FAQ entry
somewhere on Quantum's web site that talks about the problem
the Atlas I had and hopefully the solution they give is not
vendor specific and can be used on your 4743NS.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations