Date:      Sat, 09 May 1998 14:03:40 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, kline@thought.org
Subject:   Re: gcc quandry

According to Wes Peters:
% Since you can install gcc-2.8.x in /usr/local and not conflict with the
% standard compiler or any other installation, you have little to lose
% (other than a few megs of disk space) in trying the newer compiler.

Gary Kline wrote:
>         I was wondering about this.  It's been a couple years since
>         I ported//installed gcc by hand so I am wondering what
>         dependencies there are.  If I install gcc-2.8.1 in /usr/local,
>         will there be conflicts with the gcc headers?   I suppose if
>         I run into hassles I can restore this from tape;  but better
>         to ask beforre jumping :-)

No problem.  Modern versions of GCC install themselves 'atomically',
except for the inevitable collisions in /usr/local/bin/gcc, g++, etc.
You can get around that problem by setting the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX to
point to the settings for any of the GCC compilers you have installed.
Any header files the compiler installation has to 'correct' are placed
in a per-version directory, so it will not clobber and older (or newer)
installation.

If you want to try gcc-2.8.1 the quick way, there is a binary package
available.  Go to a root shell and enter:

pkg_add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.2.6/lang/gcc-2.8.1.tgz

and you should have it installed.  Couldn't be simpler, now could it?