Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 12:38:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>
Subject:   Re: Making X go right away

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>Michael Richards wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know how to make X fire up right away? I remember I just changed
>> something in inittab for linux, but FreeBSD seems to be a little different
>> :)
>>

>You just need to put "startx" or "xinit" in a startup script in
>/usr/local/etc/rc.d in 3.0, or perhaps in /etc/rc.local in earlier
>versions.

Hm... I've never tried this, but it seems like this would start your X
server as a root user.  Does startx/xinit know enough to start xdm ?

>There is also a trick you can play that will log you in automatically
>and start up your desktop. Instead of the above, try
>putting a file in your home directory called 'xstart' or whatever
>with only the line 'xinit &' in it. Then in your startup script do:

>su username < /usr/home/<user>/xstart &

>Be *sure* to make these scripts 700 or 744 .

Hm.  This does sound like you're starting your X server as root, which
seems a more insecure than need be, under the principle of least
privelige.

You can also start xdm in your rc.local, which will provide an X-based
login screen.  When you log in, all of the x clients will run as the
user logged in.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/