Date:      Sun, 02 Jun 2013 20:47:05 +0800
From:      Xu Zhe <xzpeter@gmail.com>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-freebsd8@klop.yi.org>
Subject:   Re: JVM panic when build openjdk7 on private FreeBSD 8.2

于 6/2/13 6:29 AM, Ronald Klop 写道:
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 02:53:01 +0200, Xu Zhe <xzpeter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 于 5/30/13 1:42 AM, Chris Rees 写道:

>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I'm going to suggest that you upgrade to FreeBSD 8.3-- it's not a big
>>> jump, so it shouldn't break anything.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately ports can't be tested on unsupported versions, and 8.3
>>> has been out over a year now.
>>>
>>> However, I've added java@ in case they have any suggestions.
>>>
>>> Chris
>> Hi, Chris,
>>
>> Thanks for the mail.
>>
>> The problem is, the target FreeBSD 8.2 system has been heavily hacked
>> (on both kernel and libc, as far as I know), and they have been doing
>> system test for months. If we (or say they) do the swtich, the
>> porting of the kernel part will be huge, and test results in the past
>> months will be wasted. So I suppose that is not the working solution
>> for my case. :(
>>
>> BTW, I would appreciate if anyone can tell me why build java need
>> java support?
>
> I don't know the internals of building Java, but with compilers it is
> generally a chicken-and-egg-problem. How do you compile the compiler?
> The compiler javac is written in Java, so you need java to build it.
> But you can build a pkg of java on another machine and copy it.
> Or it might work to use a ports tree of FreeBSD 8.2.
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/tags/RELEASE_8_2_0/
>
> Didn't try, buy might be worth a try.
>
> Ronald.

I have tried to use the old port but still failed after being good for a
while. What I got are vast quantities of errors like this:

../../../src/share/classes/java/lang/reflect/Field.java:1028: cannot
find symbol
     private transient Map<Class<? extends Annotation>, Annotation>
declaredAnnotations;
                                           ^
   symbol:   class Annotation
   location: class Field
../../../src/share/classes/java/lang/reflect/Field.java:1028: cannot
find symbol
     private transient Map<Class<? extends Annotation>, Annotation>
declaredAnnotations;
                                                        ^
   symbol:   class Annotation
   location: class Field
../../../src/share/classes/java/lang/reflect/Field.java:1030: cannot
find symbol
     private synchronized  Map<Class<? extends Annotation>, Annotation>
declaredAnnotations() {
                                               ^
   symbol:   class Annotation
   location: class Field
../../../src/share/classes/java/lang/reflect/Field.java:1030: cannot
find symbol
     private synchronized  Map<Class<? extends Annotation>, Annotation>
declaredAnnotations() {
                                                            ^
   symbol:   class Annotation
   location: class Field

I wanted to change another version of JVM to test the build process, but
this (/usr/local/diablo-jdk1.6.0/bin/java) seems the only one I can get
in the old port tree... I tried to build openjdk6 first (then I may try
use this JVM1.6 to build my 1.7 version if possible), but got familiar
error during java code compilation, which told me something like 'cannot
find class'.

Why not people just write Java compiler in C... :(

Or shall I test to build the java-part of openjdk7 on another host
(maybe any computer with openjdk1.7 installed) ? Though I still don't
know how to do that.

Peter