Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 16:51:21 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can someone do the Garden's Point Oberon & Modula2 ports?

I don't have IP access, so I can't - here the announcement.

Hello GPMers,

 I've been kinda busy here porting all of our latest stuff to every
 machine I could lay my hands on and consequently there's a new
 distribution in every directory of /pub/gpm at ftp.fit.qut.edu.au.

 These fix a few outstanding problems detailed below and consolidate
 the patches to the feb96 release.  (Since the feb96 release, there
 was a front-end bug fix relating to very large value parameters,
 and a fix to build to allow long library paths.)

 1) The /linux directory no longer exists.
    In its place are two directories /linux-aout and /linux-elf
    which (not surprisingly) contain the linux distributions in
    it's two flavours quite seperately now.  These have been
    created on seperate 'pure' a.out and elf machines, so hopefully
    no more problems with incorrect libraries getting linked in.

 2) gpm now understands the M2HASH and M2STRING environment variables
    as documented in the manual.  If your compilation bombs with a
    message that you should increase M2HASH or M2STRING, you can.
    Use the -V switch to see a summary of string and hash table usages.

 3) Our Oberon-2 compiler, gpo, has been in extensive use here in the
    Gardens project (http://www.fit.qut.edu.au/~szypersk/Gardens).
    It is now a reasonably stable compiler, and available in all of
    the 'free' x86 environments (linux, FreeBSD, OS/2 and DOS).

 4) The libraries have changed.
    There are now two seperate library directories, so your M2LIB
    and M2SYM environment variables should be set up something like:

     M2LIB=.../gpm/GPMlib:.../gpm/ISOlib
     M2SYM=.../gpm/GPMsym:.../gpm/ISOsym

    Order of the two directories (GPMxxx, ISOxxx) is unimportant
    ISOxxx contains only those libraries as specified in the new
    ISO Modula-2 Standard (10514:1996)
    GPMxxx contains a collection of C interfaces, PIM libraries,
    GPM specials (gpfiles, uxhandles ...) and mostly what you expect.

    RealStr and RealIO have been implemented using David Gay's high
    quality implementation of strtod/dtoa (ftp://netlib.att.com/netlib/fp/).
    Consequently most applications that print (or read I guess) real
    numbers with more than a few digits will print different (but
    certainly more correct) ones when linked with the new libraries.

 Missing from the new libraries are:
   IntStr     -- functionality available in WholeStr
   CardStr    -- ditto
   RealStr    -- the library is there but the interface is changed
   ConvTypes  -- ditto
   CharInfo   -- interface is mostly unchanged but is now called CharClass
   StdStrings -- likewise and now called Strings

These are the ISO libraries there now:
  ChanConsts,StdChans, IOChan,  IOConsts,IOLink,  LongConv, RealConv
  WholeConv, ConvTypes,LongIO,  SLongIO, RealIO,  SRealIO,  WholeIO, SWholeIO
  RawIO,     SRawIO,   TextIO,  STextIO, IOResult,SIOResult,LongMath,RealMath
  LongStr,   RealStr,  WholeStr,RndFile, SeqFile, TermFile, StreamFile
  ProgramArgs, Strings, CharClass, SysClock

Enjoy
---
Jeffrey Ledermann           lederman@dstc.qut.edu.au
,                            http://www.dstc.qut.edu.au/~lederman/
<
<          _--_|\            Faculty of Information Technology
<         /      QUT         Queensland University of Technology
<         \_.--._/           Box 2434  Brisbane 4001  AUSTRALIA
<               v            Ph: +61 7 3864 5337  Fax: +61 7 3864 1282
<

	Stephen Hocking

--
The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation Board of
Queensland, Australia.