Date:      10 Jul 2000 08:47:38 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minor issues after upgrade to 4.0-Stable

Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com> writes:

> "David J. Kanter" wrote:
> >
> > My upgrade from 3.5 to 4.0 was a lot easier than I thought, but now I've got
> > some minor annoyances that I don't know how to fix.
> >
> > 1. Xfstt (linux) isn't working properly. The binary is running, as shown by
> > ps, but I have no access to TrueType fonts. All the fonts are on my Windows
> > partition. It worked fine before, and I haven't changed a thing in the
> > start-up script or /etc/XF86Config.
> >
> > 2. WindowMaker's wmnet isn't working right. I have wmnet -i tun0 start up
> > automatically, but it starts up with the ppp0 device. And, none of my
> > tunneling devices show up if I cycle through all the devices on the wmnet
> > app. If I type, at the shell, wmnet -i tun0, it'll show up. All the other
> > devices show up, like faith, etc., too.

I have never used or installed either of these programs, but they might need
to be rebuilt because of changes elsewhere in the system.  The latter, in
particular, sounds like it may be depending on devices in the kernel...

> > 3. How do I get the new docs to install? I cvsup'ed the doc-all branch, and
> > assumed they would be updated automatically. But they weren't. What do I do
> > to get these updated?
>
> You have to "cd /usr/doc" and do a make and make install. You need the
> docproj installed before it will work. What I did then is add a folder
> to my KDE desktop with a link to /usr/doc/<your language>/articles and
> books.

I build the docs from source myself, but that's considerable overkill unless
you're planning to submit changes to the docs.  [Note that Kent left out the
step of actually downloading -- presumably via cvsup -- the /usr/doc tree
itself.]

An easier approach would be to just grab the whole doc distribution from a
recent snapshot (e.g.,
releng4.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/{whatever}/doc/), and
install that.

> > 4. /var/cron/log moved to /var/log/cron, so I just did a cp -Rp. Does that
> > sound OK?

Sure.  I just started the log over from scratch, myself...

Be well.