Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:03:39 +0400
From:      Pavel Merdine <freebsd-fs@merdin.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   panic again

Hello,

  I'd like to start discussions about panic and fs over again.

  Since  yesterday  one  of  our  servers is periodically being hit by
  various panics. It seems that it relates to only one partition.
  I  thought maybe it's a faulty HDD and copied the content to another
  HDD. I done it using dd. After one hour the server had panic again:
Oct  26  05:11:54  images8  /kernel:  mode = 040700, inum = 2382, fs =
/mountpount
Oct 26 05:11:54 images8 /kernel: panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
Oct 26 05:11:54 images8 /kernel:
Oct 26 05:11:54 images8 /kernel: syncing disks... 49 12
Oct 26 05:11:54 images8 /kernel: done

  Dispite  the  line  "syncing  disks", all disks were not clean after
  reboot:

Oct 26 05:11:56 images8 /kernel: WARNING: R/W mount of /mountp denied.
Filesystem is not clean - run fsck

  I  do not mount with -f because softupdates didn't show good results
  and made system panic more and more times.

  My  question  is:  Is  there  any  future  in  FFS,  it's panics and
  non-working softupdates?

  I dont see any reliability in such system.
  But what I remember is high reliability of MS NTFS. I didn't see any
  disk  checks  after any failure and I didn't experience a file loss.
  And  I didn't see it's popular "blue screen" with an error caused by
  filesystem code.

  I  think  that FreeBSD has no future without a reliable FS and clean
  code for it.

  BTW:   We  user  FreeBSD  4.10,  I talk about IDE drives. I tried to
  switch IDE write cache off, but ffs does not work better.

  Sorry  if  I wrote too long letter. Our company is just tired of the
  problems related to all of this.
  And,  by  the  way, FFS code still have a divide by integer error in
  dirpref().  I  tried  to  report  it two times, I saw it reported in
  lists, but nobody cares :( . No future.

--
/ Pavel Merdine