Date:      Thu, 18 May 1995 06:31:33 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bugs@ns1.win.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -cur boot hangs since may 1

>If you disable ie0 during a '-c' boot dialog (or build a kernel without ie0)
>then things work great.

>All my boxes have ep0 cards so I have been an unhappy boy for many days.

>I am looking at the probe technique in the ie0 driver to see what has
>been changed.  It may be confusing the 3c509 card.

This is a known bug and was worked around in revision 1.20 (1994/11/18)
of GENERIC.

	Log:
	Put ie0 above ep0.  Otherwise, the ie0 probe clobbers it.

The work around was broken by sorting the devices in revision 1.38
(1995/04/08).

The conflict is probably because      if_ie.c uses port ELINK_ID_PORT which
is defined in elink.h    as 0x100 and if_ep.c uses port    EP_ID_PORT which
is defined in if_epreg.h as 0x100.  The conflict is not detected because
use of these ports is not recorded in the config file (there is no room
for it) and the base ports don't conflict.  The conflict is not obvious
in isa.h because few or no network ports are recorded there.

Bruce