Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:36:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Matthew Cerha <mcerha@io.com>
To:        Philippe Le Berre <philippe@le-berre.com>
Cc:        Sriranga Veeraraghavan <ranga@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Has anyone used a Quantum SnapServer with FreeBSD?

> Seagate web site refers to xiotech inc that they've acquired. Although
> Xiotech product seems to be good it's high-end SAN with fiber whereas I am
> just looking for affordable Network based storage that can handle NT &
> FreeBSD clients. Linksys is only selling RAID 1 products, Cobalt only RAID
> 0 and Network Appliances products are just over-my-budget. As far as I know
> the SnapServer 4000 is the only affordable RAID5 NAS (<3K$) available on
> the market. The fact that SnapServer NFS stack doesn't support much
> security shouldn't be in a big issue in my case.

Have you looked at the OpenNAS servers from www.raidzone.com. They have
RAID5 rigs based on UltraDMA IDE drives. Run Linux, so you get all the
benefits of real NFS, Samba and NetAtalk. They've got a 100GB model for
about $3500. Don't know if can be *made* to run *BSD or not :) BTW,
RaidZone has an open source effort at www.opennas.org.

Cheers,

Matthew Cerha         | "*If*, is the word in the middle of *life*."
mcerha AT io.com      |              --Apocalypse Now