Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:17:44 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quote about open source

j mckitrick said on Feb  2, 2001 at 14:05:05:
> `The second problem is, and this is my most controversial remark, open
> source is the end of innovation and it's the end of innovation because
> open source can't happen until it's so broadly understood what's going
> on that the innovation has slowed down to incrementalism.''

By that reasoning, there can't be innovation in science either,
because it's always been "open source" -- share your ideas, publish
them, etc.  The idea of patenting scientific discoveries is pretty
recent, and even so, the equivalent of "closed source" (hide your
methods, reveal only your results) just doesn't exist -- because
people know such things cannot be taken seriously.

In physics, for some years now an online archive of electronic
preprints (http://arxiv.org, with mirrors all around the world) has
pretty much taken over from journals as the primary means of
communicating ideas.  You write up your work, send it there, and
next day physicists all over the world will receive the abstracts
on the daily mailing, or check it out on the web page, and can
download the entire paper if they want -- and it's all completely
free of charge, and no refereeing either.

-- Rahul.