Date:      27 Dec 95 15:08:45 EST
From:      Dominic Russell <102556.543@compuserve.com>
To:        "Help!" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with installation of FreeBSD

Hi!

First, please excuse my very bad english writing. But don't worry, it's even
worst when I speak it. And you won't have to hear it, lucky you! I'll do my best
so you can understand anyhow.

I've tried to install FreeBSD on my computer, but the installation program
always Freeze. I boot from the boot disk (from boot.flp), then I proceed with
the installation. The program freeze when I reach the creation of the root file
system (labelling?). I've execute the installation with the DEBUG parameter set
to on. The debug screen always show "Executing: newfs ..." or something like
that as last comment. The program seems to have problems accessing my hard disk,
maybe to access the virtual memory, when executing the newfs utility.

I did try a lots of things, even change my hdd controler, but nothing worked.
After I realised I was knowing all the installation program by heart and after
reading all what's readable about FreeBSD's installation files and Q & As, I've
decided to call for information.

Here is a short description of my computer:

Intel 486/33MHz CPU
Mother Board SIS with VLB bus
AMI BIOS (no support for LBA mode)
128KB chache
4MB of memory
540MB Quantum hard disk (master)
100MB Teac hard disk (slave)
EIDE controler

Is it possible that my computer don't have enough memory to run FreeBSD? Is my
hard disk incompatible? If you find anything, please let me know.

Thanks a hundred times.

Stef.