Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:57:29 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Entry in /etc/hosts not used

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 03:40:50PM +0700, Roger Merritt wrote:
> Can anyone suggest what to try next? Oh -- it's essential I be able to
> connect my browser to editor.imp.ac.th, because that's the only way to log
> in to the CMS.
Have you considered installing a local caching nameserver (I presume
you're not running one already).  I'm no DNS expert, but it seems as
though the names are being cached locally somewhere - again I'm no
expert, I'd like to here more on how freebsd caches names when no
nameserver is running locally...

If you could run your own caching nameserver locally (ie ONLY for
queries on the loopback address), you could easily just flush the cache
whenever you want to be sure you're getting 'fresh' names.

djbdns is really nice (dnscache for caching) and a breeze to setup.

These docs are useful:
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html
http://matt.simerson.net/computing/dns/djbdns-freebsd.shtml
http://www.lifewithdjbdns.org/

- a lot of info in the above docs, try and read as much of the first
  link as you can and follow on to the second link for setting up dnscache as
  a local caching server

Once you're done, you'd still use /etc/hosts to override any hosts you
want, but use dnscache for everything else (with 'nameserver 127.0.0.1'
in /etc/resolv.conf) and to 'flush' the cache just do 'svc -t
/var/service/dnscache' (or wherever you link dnscache service dir to).

Cheers,
Jez