Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:30:49 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        dteske@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: If the BSD become known as Linux, BSD distributions will be millions just like there are on Linux?

On Mar 12, 2014, at 11:23 AM, dteske@FreeBSD.org wrote:

>=20
> But let's take a step back for a moment...
>=20
> Apple's Mac OS X is based on BSD and has a wider install base than =
Linux. So
> in that respect, BSD is already doing great.

OS X is not based on BSD.  It is a mach based kernel, with a custom =
graphical interface unrelated to X Windows.  It does have a BSD type =
user land available, and a BSD type kernel interface to enable the user =
land.   But most users don=92t touch the user land.=20

It is more correct, I think, to say that OS X and BSD share some =
heritage.

Chad