Date:      Thu, 14 Apr 2011 06:32:35 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        brooks@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does USE_GCC= 4.5+ also set C++ and Fortran to g++45/46 and gfortran45/46?

On 4/14/11, O. Hartmann <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 04/13/11 20:59, b. f. wrote:

> I looked into ports/Mk/bsd.gcc.mk and found that only gcc45 is set in
> case of using USE_FORTRAN, not gcc46. It would be nice also having gcc46
> set, since we try to optimise for AVX in the new Intel Sandy-Bridge CPUs
> and gcc46 is supoorting new facilities like that.

I think that the gcc maintainer will probably switch the default
Fortran compiler to gcc46 after gcc46 has been tested a bit longer,
and some of the remaining bugs fixed.  You could of course switch the
default on your own machines.  AVX support requires more than just a
new compiler and the proper hardware: at the moment, FreeBSD doesn't
support AVX, although some outside developers expressed an interest in
adding support for it:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2011-March/011167.html

but this will probably take some time.

b.