Date:      Fri, 1 May 1998 20:00:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD versus LINUX

On Fri, 1 May 1998, John Kelly wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 1998 22:30:41 -0500 (CDT), Frank Pawlak
> <fpawlak@execpc.com> wrote:
>
> >In answering the question as I did, I was trying to provide some
> >information to persons that were switching from Linux to FreeBSD and
> >asking for information on the differences between them, and quite
> >frankly were given bullshit for an answer.
>
> I don't think so.  Take of poll of all ISP's running either of the
> two, and I think you'll find that the vast majority prefer FreeBSD
> instead of Linux.  My statement stands.  "Amateurs like Linux, but
> professionals prefer FreeBSD."
I, as I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing, have a page where I've
compounded some of the more intelligent responses to this sort of
question.  Still failing in my eternal promise to make it pretty, and I
was able to get exactly ZERO feedback from the various Linux hordes, but
it's at:
http://www.futuresouth.com/~fullermd/freebsd/bsdvlin.html

One response I got from someone who saw the site I think sums it up even
better than the 'Amateurs/Professionals' statement.  It went something
like thus:
FreeBSD is a BSD UNIX that happens to run on x86 hardware.
Linux is a x86 OS that happens to be vaguely POSIX-ish.

Another that I saw somewhere was:
FreeBSD looks like a bunch of BSD hackers got together and decided to
write a PC OS.
Linux looks like a bunch of DOS hackers got together and decided to write
a PC UNIX, without ever having seen a real UNIX.

My $0.02 and 2k of bandwidth for today.

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |