Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:33:55 -0500
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        drl@BSD.my
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, Matt Dawson <matt@chronos.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: Unhappy Xorg upgrade

--=-GX2jsR0mAtkbyzwSIDf2

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 14:57 +0800, Darryl Yeoh wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>=20
> > Just tried dropping the synaptics driver and option in loader.conf (it =
needs
> > hw.psm.synaptics_support in /boot/loader.conf or it gets picked up as a=
n Intellimouse) and it works
> > as a standard mouse. The keyboard is still fine with no spurious events=
. The synaptics driver opens
> > up a lot of features on the trackpad (right hand side becomes a scroll =
"wheel", the bottom edge
> > becomes a horizontal scroll, it picks up multi-taps and you can tweak m=
uch of  it in xorg.conf) but
> > I don't think this is the cause of your issue.
>=20
> Did you manage to fully test out the synaptics driver ? I've had horrible=
 experience with it. If
> you allow hald to manage input devices (mouse/keyboard) on your laptop, t=
he touchpad barely works.
> (no scrolling, no tapping, slow acceleration). I've had to run Xorg witho=
ut hald managing
> those devices. Even configuring /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/x11-synapti=
cs.fdi doesn't seem to do
> much.

If you want to use synaptics, the instructions in the port are still
correct I think.  Everything that I have right now is GlidePoint, but...
Essentially, you want to disable moused_enable=3D"NO" (the default) set
the loader.conf tuneable and statically configure the touchpad in
xorg.conf to use /dev/psm0 and driver "synaptics" .  This wil not be
ignored by X, as it only ignores devices using kbd,mouse, or vmmouse
drivers.

Additional mice can be added either via config or hald depending on your
settings for AllowEmptyInput and/or AutoAddDevices.

robert.

> I've also went ahead and tried recompiling Xorg without hal support and o=
n reboot my laptop freezes
> the minute it see's the console login screen. Looks like the hal option i=
s mandatory.
>=20
> > FYI, this laptop is an ECS 331, RS485 chipset with a Turion ML34 CPU ru=
nning 7-STABLE amd64 from
> > Jan 12th.
>=20
> Same chipset here, except I have a Turion ML-50 running 7-STABLE i386 fro=
m Jan 30th.
>=20
> > If anyone's interested (on x11@), I did just plug a USB mouse in and it=
 Just Worked [TM] without me