Date:      Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:07:01 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   LPRng question and printing in general

I would like to ask people who use  LPRng spooling system on FreeBSD to
clarify something for me.

I have been playing with all available spooling systems on FreeBSD (LPD,
LPRng,  CUPS , PDQ) as well as HPLIP in order to document
their behavior and write simple howtos for each of the systems.

However I kept getting into the trouble with LPRng. Namely, I could not
get past the following message

Lp@localhost -cannot open connection - No such file or directory
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol

Is that the famous conflict with the native LPD supporting RFC1179
printing. How do people resolve this conflict in practice?

I also noticed that PDQ project is completely abandoned by its creator.
Also LPRng was  abandoned by its creator in 2005 and then picked by
somebody else. I wander what is the state of ifhp filter which is used
by default by LPRng. As it is a hardware based project and there are so
many printers that were manufactured in the mean time I wander if the
system is still usable in real life.

Is FreeBSD printing essentially reduced to LPD+apsfilter for small to
medium print networks and CUPS for  very complex  printing  networks
or  LPRng  is alive and well.

I tried to get into LPRng mailing lists but they seems are not active
any more.

Best,
Predrag