Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2008 09:42:38 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        mdh_lists@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: rsync or even scp questions....

--------------enigF7F2052B3717C3B67B75BF41

mdh wrote:
> --- On Sat, 10/11/08, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
>> 	On the Ubuntu computer I am /home/kline; on my main
>> computer,
>> 	my home is /usr/home/kline.   The following sh script
>> worked
>> 	perfected when my home on "tao" [FBSD] was
>> /home/kline:

>> #!/bin/sh
>>
>> PWD=3D`pwd`;
>> echo "This directory is [${PWD}]";
>>
>> scp -qrp  ${PWD}/* ethos:/${PWD}
>> ###/usr/bin/scp -rqp -i /home/kline/.ssh/zeropasswd-id
>> ${PWD}/* \ klin
>> e@ethos:/${PWD}
>>
>> 	Question #1: is there any /bin/sh method of getting rid of
>> the
>> 	"/usr"?  I switch off between my two computers
>> especially when
>> 	get mucked up, as with my upgrade to kde4.  (Otherwise, I
>> do
>> 	backups of ~kline as well as other critical directories.)
>>
>> 	Is there a way of automatically using rsync rather that my
>> 	kwik-and-dirty /bin/shell script?
>>
>> 	thanks, people,
>>
>> 	gary
>=20
> If what you wish to do is simply get rid of /usr in a string, you can u=
se sed like so:
> varWithoutUsr=3D`echo ${varWithUsr} |sed -e 's/\/usr//'`
> After running this, where $varWithUsr is the variable containing a stri=
ng like "/usr/home/blah", the variable $varWithoutUsr will be equal to "/=
home/blah".  I create simple scripts like this all the time to rename bat=
ches of files, for example. =20
>=20
> The easier way is probably just to not specify a dir to scp's remote pa=
th though, since it defaults to the user's home directory. =20

Or, in anything resembling Bourne shell:

varWithoutUsr=3D${varWithUsr#/usr}

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20