Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:32:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
Cc:        kris@airnet.net, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the  Internet"

[redirecting followups to -chat]

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Malte Lance wrote:

> At 08:42 10.04.98 -0500, Kris Kirby wrote:
> >Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> >>
> >> FREEBSD - THE POWER TO SERVE
> >> FreeBSD: developed for years in secret in California, painstakingly
> >> started from 4.4BSD-Lite, is now revealed to the world. FreeBSD
> >> 2.2.6-RELEASE, with the power to run the largest web or FTP server, the
> >
> >Should say PC-based, IMHO.
>
> "the environmental completness for highest-productive SW-development"
ooOOoo, I like it; it sounds great while saying absolutely nothing.  The
perfect press relief material.

> >> flexibility to be easily customized to ANY task, and the simplicity to be
> >> used sucessfullly by anyone, is now available on CD-ROM from Walnut Creek
> >> CDROM (http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/freebsd.htm), or by FTP from
> >> ftp.freebsd.org.  2.2.6-RELEASE offers many features implemented over a
> >> rock solid base, stabler and more powerful even than many commercial
>
> The commercial OSes i know are far from being as stable as FreeBSD, so why not
> saying it:
> "FreeBSD offers with its 2.2.6-RELEASE the most stable and powerful operating-
> system, with uncounted features build over that rock-solid base."
I'm giving commercial releases the benefit of the doubt.  Anything more
sounds too arrogant, IMNHO.

> >> operating systems. You can keep up with new features as they are developed
> >> and implemented by Concurrent Version System, a revolutionary way to keep
> >> up with the lastest changes, through the 2.2.6-STABLE development branch.
>
> The bleeding-edge-staying-current part is needless here, IMHO ;)
Perhaps, but I'm trying to convey the scale through which you can decide
how much tinkering you want, as opposed to Linux where your only choice
is, essentially, -CURRENT.

> >> You can even advance to the absolute bleeding edge, with the absolute
> >> latest changes, advances, and features by following the 3.0-CURRENT
> >> development tree.
>
> Better mention the distribution-policy:
> "No need to mess up with various distributions from different vendors.
> With FreeBSD you get THE distribution, unique, welldefined and constantly
> extended to cover the newest powertools and software. Currently there are
> many thousand SW-packages and ports incorporated into FreeBSD-releases
> (from A like archiver, over M like Multimedia, or S like StarOffice to Z
> like ... (maybe zsh))."
Hm, 'Acrobat to Zsh'...    it...could...WORK!

> >> And yet, even with this power and flexibility, FreeBSD
> >> is offered absolutely free of charge(insert discreet caevet about
> >> shipping and media charges here) to anyone anywhere in the world, and
> >> comes with full source.  You can even contribute your own improvements
> >> back into the system!  Call Walnut Creek CDROM at (800)786-9907 today to
> >> reserve your hot-off-the-press copy of FreeBSD 2.2.6 for the power to
> >> serve tomorrow, today!
> >>

> Malte Lance
> malte@webmore.com
>
> >--
> >
> >Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
> >TGIFreeBSD... 'Nuff said.

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |