Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 08:30:49 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam from bsdsearch.com

On 1 Mar 2001, at 20:14, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Doug MacKintosh <doug@doug.net> writes:
> > Their Internet provider, pbi.net (PacBell) has an
> > acceptable use policy that forbids the sending of spam. I
> > had intended to log a complaint with pbi.net over this
> > incident but I (stupidly) deleted the spam itself. I suggest
> > that all parties concerned contact abuse@pbi.net with the
> > relevant information and make formal complaints.
>
> I still have a copy, and have sent a complaint to abuse@pbi.net and
> abuse@filetron.com (the latter bounced, apparently these people don't
> read RFCs...)

Don't you hate that....

I used this address instead:

Registrant:
filetron l.l.c. (FILETRON-DOM)
   1536 Gage Road
   Montebello, Ca 90039
   Montebello, CA 90039  US

   Domain Name: FILETRON.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Billing Contact:
      Goodman, Victor  (VG68)  vgoodman@LINUXSTART.COM
      2109 Micheltorena Street
      Los Angeles, CA 90039
      323-669-0822 (FAX) 323-666-9537

> >                                     [...] If someone
> > is still in posession of the spam in question and would be
> > so kind as to forward a copy to me, I will do this also.
>
> Complaining about somebody else's copy of the spam won't do you any
> good - and in any case there should be enough complainants as it is.

I take your point, but there can never be too many complaints.  There
was a 14 hour gap between the time the spam was done and we first
heard anything from Garry.  It has now been nearly two days and all
we've heard is "sorry, we sent it to the wrong list by mistake".  He's had
more than enough time to clear this issue up.  It is time to appeal to his
providers.  But as you said, there's no point in forwarding someone
else's copy.

--
Dan Langille
pgpkey - finger dan@unixathome.org | http://unixathome.org/finger.php