Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:09:53 -0400
From:      Matt White <s012mrw@discover.wright.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Samba and NetaTalk Snafu?

I have had a weird problem for the past few months since moving my server
from Linux to FreeBSD.

Clients can only connect via Samba when our PPP connection to the
Internet is up. If the PPP connection is not up when the clients attempt
to connect to the server the attempt will simply time out after a few
minutes with the connection never being made. However, as soon as I bring
up the PPP connection, clients can connect almost instantly without
problems.

This was annoying, but we knew how to work around it so it hasn't been
much of a problem.

However, now we're trying to allow Macintosh clients to connect to the
server as well. The server will appear in the Chooser (under both
AppleShare for file sharing and LaserWriter 8 for it's printer), but when
the clients attempt to connect once again the connection times out and
nothing is done.  However, this time, the problem cannot be solved by
bringing up the PPP connection.

At boot time the server "freezes" at the netatalk initialization stage,
and eventually times out. (After about 30 seconds.) When afpd tries to
fire up it dies with the following error:

Apr  9 07:49:10 newton afpd[1094]: Can't register newton:AFPServer@*

...and when papd attempts to start up I get this error:

Apr  9 08:02:10 newton papd[1108]: can't register newton:LaserWriter@*

Some system information:

- Pentium 166
- 32MB RAM
- FreeBSD 2.2.5 from the November 1997 CD's (very few patches have been
installed)
- NE2000 NIC

Our network is setup in the 10.3.2.0/24 range. TCP/IP will always work in
and out of the server.

The server is doing PPP aliasing. (Which is where I think the problem may
ultimately lie.)

Any suggestions, comments, jabs? =)

--
Matt White