Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 00:40:14 +0100
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        "Cribbins, Jason" <Jason.Cribbins@qwest.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to boot 4.1.1

"Cribbins, Jason" <Jason.Cribbins@qwest.com> wrote:

>In the attempts to use both IDE and SCSI the bootable drive has always =
been
>the IDE.  I will try to make it the SCSI on my next install attempt.  =
But I
>must note that with no SCSI connected at all I get the same response =
from
>the system.  I also still have no way to access the bios because it is
>loaded on a partition of the HD which BSD wiped out during the initial
>install. I am unable to get any help from Compaq in this respect because=
>have yet to determine the exact model# or even what model family it =
belongs
>to.

Hopefully the messages from Ross Potts will help.

>I suppose the only real way to test this Bios theory is for me to get
>another BM which I have BIOS access to and see if the IDE cards is
>supported.

Well Greg Lehey seems to think it's supported; see:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=3D893939+896513+/usr/local/ww=
w/db/text/2000

>Well what can you expect for a $20 computer....I am now thinking I might
>have been ripped off paying that much for all the trouble this thing has
>given me!

I'm sure you'll find a good use for it.  You don't need much drive space =
for
a little server/firewall.  At least you can get it to boot with SCSI =
only.

>> Have you tried just a minimal installation on the SCSI drive?  You can
>> move /usr /var and /tmp to the IDE drive later.  If that doesn't work
>> you should be able to boot the HD from a floppy as a last resort.
>
>I have thought about a floppy solution....but I do not know how to make =
such
>a disk.  My space trouble is mainly a /usr situation.  All other mounts =
>have seen normally wont even begin to stress the 520MB SCSI.  Tonight I =
will
>attempt reload and install everything but /usr on the SCSI and use all =
of
>the IDE for /usr.  With default all I noted that the /usr takes up all =
the
>extra space not allocated to anything else.  So taking the /usr away =
leave
>about 420MB of empty space which I will take into the swap or /tmp or
>whatever I guess.

There was a thread here recently about booting from floppy.  I'm sure =
you'll
find it if necessary.

>I believe the onboard IDE is disabled because I get no response with DOS
>FDISK program.  IT is either disabled or totally incompatible with my =
ATA66
>HD which should support ATA33 as well.

That sounds hopeful.

Good luck