Date:      Thu, 05 Oct 2000 21:36:42 +0200
From:      Luke Roberts <luke@roberts.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?V=E9ronique?= Huck <v.huck@free.fr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to fix fstab ?

>Hi,
>
>After mounting a second hard drive in my box, I have added a wrong entry
>in
>/etc/fstab/ and my system (FBS 4.0) doesn't boot any longer.

I have had this too. Don't worry It's not the end of the world!

When the machine stops booting you end up in a single user prompt and the
'/' filesystem is mounted read only. You need to mount your file systems
manually and the edit the /etc/fstab file. Repare the entry that's causing
all the trouble and restart the machine.

the commands that should do the trick are:

   mount /dev/ados1a /
   mount /dev/ados1f /usr
   mount /dev/ados1e /var

   cd /etc