Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2003 22:07:33 -0800
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        kitsune <kitsune@gmx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VNC and blackbox

--tpmnaK8jbsVPymjA

> > mwm@mired.org wrote:
> > > In <3E8B3B87.4020102@netscape.net>, E. J. Cerejo <edinho64@netscape.n=
et> typed:
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > >=20
> > > vnc runs the script ~/.vnc/xstartup to start the desktop. If it
> > > doesn't exist, you get an xterm in twm.
> > >=20
> > >     <mike
> > >

> > "E. J. Cerejo" <edinho64@netscape.net> wrote:
> >
> > I know that part. Here's a copy of what it looks like:
> >=20
> > [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> > xsetroot -solid grey
> > xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> > blackbox &
> >=20
> > I still get twm!  What am I doing wrong?

> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 06:41:27PM -0600, kitsune wrote:
> I had the same problem too. I could not get it to work with blackbox.
> Try fluxbox out. It is blackbox clone.

I've got VNC running with blackbox.  Is there any useful info in the
vncserer logfile - probably located at ~/.vnc/<something>.log.
Basically, I set up a special user under which to launch the VNC server,
so that I can effectively restrict any VNC usage to that which I have
explicitly setup for the special VNC user.  In my case, I just created a
user called 'vncuser'.  All the necessary files are at
"/home/vncuser/.vnc".  Namely, the file "xstartup" - make sure that this
file is executable by the user running VNC.

Nathan

--=20
GPG Public Key ID: 0x4250A04C
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 4250A04C
http://63.105.21.156/gpg_nkinkade_4250A04C.asc

--tpmnaK8jbsVPymjA

--tpmnaK8jbsVPymjA--