Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2018 12:59:13 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Banana Pi M3 (armv7/CortexA7) with head -339076 and u-boot 2018.09_3 from ports: what CPU clock speed is it using? More. . .

The following leaves me wondering if the switch to linux
based .dts files and related changes have also invalidated
some "Supported devices" table entries in
https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Allwinner . For
example: cpufreq / DVFS and/or Thermal for some columns.

With -r308125 the BPi-M3 would -j4 or -j5 buildworld buildkernel for the
src.conf settings that I use in about 9.5 hours. (From my 2016-Nov-05
list E-mail.)

[The BPi-M3 has heat sinks, a case, and a fan.]

I've not done such builds in a long time and I've not recorded times
when I have. But having updated to -r339076 based and the modern
2018.09 u-boot context has the BPi-M3 just finished building
lib/clang/libclang/AST/ materials after about 19 hours. top
indicates swap has 1740M Total and Free. (My top modifications
indicate the Max Observed Active Mem as 922M so far.)

There is a big difference in clang between the two and that
contributes to taking more time. But, by contrast, the (aarch64
A64 based) Pine64+ 2GB -j4 buildworld buildkernel for -r338860
built completely in about 13.75 hours, although it had faster
media in the microsd card slot (e.MMC on an adapter and used
in DDR52 mode via experimental changes to allow e.MMC use).

This leaves me wondering if the BPi-M3 clock rate(s) for the
CPU and/or RAM are set avoiding the upper end of the range
compared to -r308125's time frame. (This may well be reasonable
currently.)

Taking a guess at relevant figures from the modern
BPi-M3 configuration via sysctl -a output:

hw.clock.c1cpux.frequency: 1008000000
hw.clock.c0cpux.frequency: 1008000000
. . .
hw.clock.pll_c1cpux.frequency: 1008000000
hw.clock.pll_c0cpux.frequency: 1008000000

(I've not figured out anything for DRAM: I ignored
anything reported as 0 and bus-*.frequency figures.)

If the current context is without throttling or some
such, it may be that 1 GHz or so is used to just keep
things in a safe range: I see no evidence of cpu or such
temperatures in the sysctl -a output so a feedback loop
controlling the frequency (and voltages) may not be an
option currently for the BPi-M3.

However, it is possible the frequency or other behavior
is unexpected. I can not tell.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com