Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 05:04:50 -0500
From:      Geoffrey Robinson <grobin@accessv.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Something is very wrong. Memory leak?

Hi,
I'm running a FreeBSD 2.2.5RELEASE server using Apache 1.3a1 on a P-200
with 128MB RAM that gets 80k to 100k hits a day and I seem to be
experiencing a serious memory problem.

When the server boots I have about 109MB free memory. As time goes by
the free memory slowly disappears at the rate of about 40MB a day.  Most
of the missing memory is listed under active in top but the sum of
memory used by the process isn't anywhere near that much.

And it gets worse...

If I don't reboot every two days and the free memory gets below 15MB the
systems seems to go into a sort of 'dormant' state. It stops processing
requests from the web and telnet becomes very slow even though the load
average is below 0.2. Luckily I am still able to reboot when it is in
this state.

I've been very careful about rebooting regularly so this 'dormant' state
has only occurred twice, but it seems to be directly related to the loss
of memory.

The server was installed from the same FreeBSD CD that I installed on my
home system, but I haven't had any memory problems at home.

Dose anybody know what is going on?

Thanks.
--
Geoffrey Robinson