Date:      22 Oct 1998 12:54:02 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   For Whom The Beep Tolls

Newsgroups: xxx.xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx
From: ahoerter@netcom.com
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:13:33 GMT

So this project that I'm working on has a requirement to migrate to WinNT...
all ObNTAngst aside, I encountered one particular quirk that baffled, amused,
and frightened me in one swell foop.

After installing En Tee and a few in-house apps onto a fairly beefy machine,
I make a few adjustments which, as with so many things, require a reboot to
become effective.  Dutifully restarting the box, I'm once again greeted
by an invitation for a three-finger salute... but before I can lay a hand
on the keyboard, the screen goes blue while the speaker emits a rapid squeal
of agony.  Boggle.  Okay, what seems to have been in memory at the time...

BEEP.SYS.

Whuh?  But that couldn't possibly... must be a random thing.  Reboot.
Squeal.  Blue screen.

On a lark, I disable the Beep device driver, which controls (wait for it...)
the system speaker.

No more blue screen.  Works fine[0].

Yes, friends and neighbors, boys and girls-- my PC speaker crashed NT.
It's pathetic in a sick sort of way; an "enterprise computing environment"
brought to its knees by a beep of doom.

Almost makes my old digs at a local ISP seem like Recovery.  At least UNIX
fails in simple and explainable ways, most of the time.

-andrew ("not with a beep, but with a whimper")

[0] "fine" being entirely a relative thing, in this case.
--
"You'd be better advised to simply run along and contract a disfiguring
disease of some sort, never to be heard from again."