Date:      Fri, 16 May 2008 22:01:10 +0200
From:      Robert Jesacher <jessy@sicha.net>
To:        Carlo.Capponi@unibo.it
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: number of partitions

On 15.05.2008, at 19:09, Roland Smith wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 09:36:06AM -0600, Carlo.Capponi@unibo.it
> wrote:
>>
>> looks like I cannot create more than 8 partitions at boot time on a
>> single
>> disk.
>> how to overcome this problem ?
>> thanks
>
> Use fdisk to make up to 4 slices on the disk; e.g. ad0 gets ad0s1 to
> ad0s4.
> you can then create up to 6 usable partitions on each slice.
>
> Roland

if you are on 7.0 and your box is equipped for it (memory) you could -
and probably should - give ZFS a try.
I use it w/o troubles and it really eliminates the partitioning (and
other) hassles. Simply put: it is the next
big thing in storage ;-)

Have a look here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS

take care,
Robert