Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2005 15:03:49 +0200
From:      Joost van Dijk <joost@amiculus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: messages from dhclient

On Sunday 17 April 2005 13:56, Roland Smith wrote:
> It looks to me like you're not running dhclient with sufficient
> permissions (i.e. not as root), or you have a firewall that doesn't let the
> traffic through.

I am logging in as root.
The firewall is enabled, but I have not got up to the chapter in the book on
firewalls yet, so I have absolutely no idea what so ever about how to
configure it.

> The message is written on your terminal, but should not be written into
> the file. Does pressing crtl+l help restore the screen?

That sounds like a very useful tip. I shall try it next time it happens.

> You could redirect the standard error stream for dhclient to /dev/null
> when you start it up: "dhclient 2>/dev/null". Or kill dhclient while
> you're editing.

I think I won't do that. It is probably better that I see the message when
something is going wrong. If, as you say, it is not actually written into the
file, then it is less damaging than I thought.

Thanks.

Joost.