Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2014 08:02:25 -0400
From:      Ryan Stone <rysto32@gmail.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Extracting user stack traces from a crash dump

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 5:41 AM, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anyone know of a tool that can extract userland stack traces from a crash dump?
> I did some googling and the closest I can see is to use DDB, but obviously that is only possible when I can access the console.
>
> Is it something procstat should/could be extended to do?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have a kernel core and you
want to see the backtrace in *userland*?  e.g.

malloc()
strdup()
main()

That's not possible with a minidump.  A minidump does not include
memory for any userland processes, only the kernel, so you can't see
what any userland threads were doing at the time of the crash.  You
could find the trap frame for the thread at the bottom of the kernel
stack and map the instruction pointer for the top userland frame, but
that's it.