Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 21:37:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        nate@MNSi.Net (Nathan Vidican)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Terminals...and FreeBSD

Nathan Vidican wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD,
>
> 	I am looking to setup a network of Terminals, I'd like to use FreeBSD. I'd
> like to setup something with enough graphics capability to run X-Windows,
> (if possible). I am thinking of the Wyse WY-325ES,
> (http://www.wyse.com/terminals/specs/325spec.html), the terminal is a
> colour terminal, capable of running on Xenix, Unix, Multiuser-DOS, PICK,
> and others that were not listed. What I'd like to know, is does it work
> with FreeBSD...before I spend money on the machine. Apparently they do not
> know, but assumed you would, (go figure eh?). Anyhow, if anyone who reads
> this knows of a terminal system, (preferably fraphics capable, and also
> preferably network-interface rather than serial), please send
> corrospondance to nate@mnsi.net . Better yet, if anyone actually knows of a
> system of terminals currently running somewhere with FreeBSD, could I get a
> contact name?

Check the prices before committing. X-terminals are essentially diskless
unix boxes. The WY-325 isn't an X-terminal, either. Setting it up for
use on BSD is like setting up a VT320 or whatever serial terminal.
X is radically different from any serial protocol. "Graphics" in a
terminal spec means a lot of things. X-terminals describe themselves
as "X-terminals".

I'm not aware that X-terminals are still in production. They were a
sort of stop-gap measure from the days of $250/MB memory and $10/MB
disk drives, and $500 ethernet cards. (A new VT-220 serial terminal
sold for $1500, X-terminals in the US$2-4000 range, IIRC).

Again, compare the price against a generic low-end PC with a nice monitor.
This PC hardware solution (often diskless) is cheaper than any X-terminal
ever was.

	Configuration:	Pentium I or so, "nice" graphics card, 17" monitor,
	TP ethernet with netbooting BIOS on the NIC, 32MB memory,
	no disk. (don't even need a disk /controller/, if the mobo BIOS
	is bright enough to let the NIC netboot).

Actually, a high-end 486 with 16MB makes a pretty nice X-terminal --
remember, all it has to do is draw the screen, read the keyboard and
rodent, and talk to the ethernet. Spend your money on the monitor.

A central file server (big unix machine) then NFS-exports the entire
filesystem to the diskless PC acting as an X-terminal. "The entire filesystem"
is pretty minimal, BTW. Nearly everything (window manager, apps, etc)
run on the central server.)

Reading:
	man bootpd
	man xdm

The isc-dhcp and isc-dhcp2 ports/packages cover the DHCP protocol,
a new and improved method of netbooting that replaces/supplements the
stuff in bootpd.  See the docs in those ports for more info; I don't
netboot, so don't have them installed.

Dave
--
                          Unix System 7:
     an improvement on all versions, previous and subsequent.